Oh well. My attempt to use Python for the RasPi node was over before it actually begun. I was about to port the include file over to Python, just to find out that Python does not support structures. There's some sort of emulation of regular structures, but that looked so complicated and awkward I simply gave up. Back to C. If nothing else, I will be able to share the source code with any other hardware I have at home, being it Arduino, RasPi, MSP430 or PICs.
I tried to use the ILI9341 display as RasPi console, and add ncurses to my skeleton RasPi RF24 central node. To my surprise, RasPi crashed. I did not get any message about the crash, but it was hard, as even SD card wasn't synced. I tried older code without ncurses that actually did not touch the display at all (and I am running stuff over SSH thus nothing was really written to the display). Crash. I tried even older code that for sure worked. Crash. Disabling the ILI9341 as console solved the crash. Strange.
I have no good explanation for this. I even tried to debug this behaviour with gdb, but the last thing I can see is the RF24 library opening the /dev/mem. Then the program gets out of gdb's control as it continues running, starts communicating with the RF24 chip, displays some internal details about it, and then the whole system stops responding. I guess it's two things trying to use the SPI device at the same time (console and RF24) and that somehow doesn't work... I don't think I will be able to fix this, and I am now remembering why I always preferred using Arduino to RasPi. Anyway, I need to think about this. Most likely going to my own library for the TFT support, probably porting the Adafruit Arduino lib. Great...
There is one positive outcome of all this - I found out about gdb's TUI (Text UI). Not that it makes gdb the best debugger ever, but certainly makes it less PITA *grins*